Brachydios are easily identifiable by their glowing, green slime-covered horns and "fists," as well as their shiny, armored hide covered in many plates and ridges that are made of obsidian. Unlike other Brute Wyverns, Brachydios sports a pair of long, highly developed forelimbs that it uses as its primary means of defense. Brachydios' forelimbs and horn seem to secrete a mysterious slime. According to in-game information, Brachydios "primes" this mucus to explode with its saliva, hence why it licks its arms, making it appear brighter green. Despite initial appearances, Brachydios does possess claws on its forearms that are tucked away underneath, and serve no apparent purpose in battle.
By slamming the ground or prey with its fists or horn, Brachydios can deposit a puddle of its slime mold, which, once detached from the monster's body, quickly undergoes a powerful chemical reaction and violently explodes. The substance itself is also sticky; if a hunter is struck directly by one of Brachydios' fist or horn attacks, it will adhere to the hunter's body and eventually explode. Hunters can remove the substance by rolling or using a Deodorant. Notably, Brachydios is also capable of leaping far distances by using its powerful hind legs and is much more agile than other Brute Wyverns.
When enraged, Brachydios' fists, horn, and various ridges along is body glow a bright yellow and orange. In this state, Brachydios will no longer leave slime puddles, but will instead cause explosions directly on impact with almost all of its horn and fist attacks.
Brachydios' name comes from the latin name for arm, brachium (ブラキウム). This was used to make a reference to Brachydios' shell, which is made of obsidian (オブシディアン).
Click on Expand to see contents.
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter 4
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Monster Hunter Generations
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Monster Hunter Frontier G8.1 (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter Frontier G9
- Monster Hunter Frontier G10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z Zenith
For details on older games this monster has appeared in, see Brachydios Guides.
|Brachydios Analysis for Monster Hunter 4|
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
|Brighter Red means more damage, while Darker Red means lesser damage.|
|Raw Hitzone Damage Data|
|Hitzone||Cutting Damage||Impact Damage||Shot Damage|
|Element Hitzone Damage Data|
|This Monster is weakest to:|| Water on Horn:|
|Status Effects Data|
|Item Effectiveness Data|
|Pitfall Trap||Yes||N/A||N/A||+3 Seconds|
|Shock Trap||Yes||N/A||N/A||+7 Seconds|
|Flash Bomb||Yes||N/A||N/A||+10 Seconds|
Analysis Data Source/s:
MHWI Damage Effectiveness
MH4U Breakable Parts
For carves and materials from other games, see Brachydios Carves
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Generations
For more information, see Brachydios and Raging Brachydios Equipment
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Raging Brachydios
The Raging Brachydios is known to inhabit the Ingle Isle. It is an unusual Brachydios individual with abnormal activation of its Slime Mold and the usual Slime Mold on certain parts of its body has become a lot more volatile than before. The slime that covers it is capable of exploding; this can only occur if the hunter stays in close proximity and if the slime on the Raging Brachydios is glowing bright red. It is also worth mentioning that the slime puddles explode at a noticeably faster rate.
Main Article: Evangelion Brachydios
Main Article: Iceblast Brachydios
For more images, see Brachydios Photo Gallery
|MH3U: Brachydios Music Theme|
- When the hunter is struck by Brachydios' punch or when a slime puddle is stepped on, Slimeblight is inflicted. This status can be cured by rolling on the ground three times, just as with Fireblight. If the blight is not cured in time, the slime will then turn from green to yellow, then red before exploding and causing damage. It may also be ignited prematurely if the hunter takes another direct hit from Brachydios.
- Brachydios on its own is powerful enough to kill an Agnaktor as seen in its ecology video.
- Brachydios will often eventually fail to leave behind puddles of slime. This can be reflected on its body by the visual lack of slime on its arms. When this happens, the layers of slime can be reapplied by it simply licking its forearms.
- Both arms and Brachydios' horn can be broken, and its tail can be severed. However, this does not affect its ability to leave sediments of slime on the ground.
- Breaking the arms, however, causes its supply of slime to wear out more quickly, therefore forcing its pounders to be licked more often.
- A Water-element weapon will dissolve and wash off the slime on its arm(s). When the coatings have been dissolved, there is a chance of a shiny drop appearing.
- Brachydios' roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- When it is exhausted, it is less likely to follow an attack after licking its pounders.
- There is a chance of a shiny drop appearing after a puddle of slime explodes.
- Brachydios becomes able to use two new attacks when enraged, both involving the use of its horn.
- One is Brachydios thrusting its head forwards on the ground, sending a straight line of explosions foward.
- The second attack will cause Brachydios to stand still, while explosions will emerge around Brachydios in multiple fixed patterns.
- Brachydios can be hurt with an insignificant amount of damage by its own puddles, though other monsters in the area of the slime will be dealt normal damage.
- According to one of the Uniqlo Monster Hunter 10th Anniversary T-Shirts, the size of the foot of a Brachydios is 178 centimeters.
- Brachydios' design motif was a missile.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Brachydios now creates a large puddle of slime with its horn attack.
- It can be infected by the Frenzy Virus.
- When infected, some of Brachydios's slime puddles may explode within a shorter or longer time frame.
- Brachydios will use its arms to climb up walls. When doing this, it will leave slime puddles on the walls, but when enraged, explosions will happen instead of it depositing slime altogether.
- Brachydios's roar no longer requires High-Grade Earplugs to block.
- Brachydios now digs when leaving an area instead of walking to another area.
- In G-Rank, Brachydios gains two new attacks:
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Interestingly, Brachydios's blade-like extensions on its arms, as well as one of the blades on its tail seem to be enlarged compared to previous generations.
- Brachydios inflicts a stronger form of Blastblight called Blastscourge, which causes stronger explosions and takes longer to remove by rolling.
- Brachydios's horn attacks leave behind larger and denser slime puddles that briefly impair hunters' movements if they get caught in them.
- Brachydios has Turf Wars with Azure Rathalos and Tigrex.
Monster Hunter Frontier
- Brachydios is an Exotic Species (遷悠種)