Espinas is physically similar to a Rathian, but alongside scales its body is covered in hot pink spikes full of venom and rough green armor plating. A long, pink, venom-filled horn protrudes from the front of its head, in a similar fashion to Monoblos.Venomous thorns also protrude from its body, wings, tail, feet, and head. Its body, tail, and feet are bigger and more muscular than those of other Flying Wyverns. It has four pink claws upon its feet. Red-orange veins will appear when it is in its enraged state, similar to Tigrex.
Espinas has the ability to shoot toxic fireballs that cause both Poison and Paralysis upon impact. In addition, most of its physical attacks cause poison status as well due to the thorns. Espinas also has the ability to charge at great speed whilst ramming with its horn.
Espinas is an unusually passive Flying Wyvern. In the wild, it can almost always be found sleeping. Even when disturbed and woken up, it still responds disinterestedly to any attacks, casually walking back and forth whilst relying on its thick hide to protect itself.
However, if enough damage is dealt to Espinas, it will become enraged. When this occurs, it becomes much faster and more brutal, charging aggressors down, ramming them with its horn, and shooting toxic fireballs.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hard Core (HC) Espinas
In terms of appearance, HC Espinas is largely similar to normal Espinas, though all its thorns, claws and horns are a brighter shade of yellow, and tinged with pink on the tips. Its legs are also more strongly developed, and peculiarly, its eyes are light blue.
HC Espinas is known for its increased speed over its normal brethren; its unique homing charge attack is especially powerful for this reason. In addition, it is more capable of combining its attacks - for example, shooting out five fireballs, then flying backwards whilst shooting the final toxic blast.
Main Article: Zenith Espinas
|MHO: Espinas Music Theme|
- Fittingly 'Espinas' is Spanish for 'Thorns'.
- Its horn, chest, wings and back can be broken, and its tail can be severed.
- It must be near death for its horn to break and tail to be severed.
- Espinas' roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- Espinas have a Subspecies and Rare Species: the brown and orange Espinas Subspecies, and the white and purple Espinas Rare Species.
- Espinas will huff white smoke from its mouth and veins around its body will glow when enraged.
- Inflicting Sleep Status upon the Espinas will cause it to drop an item.
- At G-Rank, Espinas' charging attacks are faster, wider and can be deployed more suddenly.
- HC Espinas' roar requires Super HG Earplugs to block.
- Beginning G2-Rank, Espinas' sleeping "attacks" will inflict poison, and it's fireballs will split into multiple smaller fireballs upon detonation.
- Espinas has a unique theme in Monster Hunter Online.