|Some of the names in this Article use an unofficial English translation of its official Japanese Name.|
The name is obtained either by using Japanese translating programs or through previous existing English equivalent terms in the game. The names will be used as quick references around other articles in the Monster Hunter Wiki until Capcom reveals the official English names for them.
Espinas Subspecies features a brown carapace with red spines, claws, and horns. When enraged, its body is covered in glowing orange veins. It is otherwise identical to the common Espinas.
Espinas Subspecies is capable of producing larger and more powerful bursts of fire than the common Espinas, and is more resistant to damage. One of its most noteworthy abilities is to launch a large fireball at its feet which explodes into a massive fire storm covering a large radius.
Similarly to the common Espinas, it is a docile and passive wyvern which will only attack when provoked. It sleeps for much of the day, and is usually encountered in this state.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hard Core (HC) Espinas Subspecies
SR51+ required to hunt.
Members of the Espinas Subspecies with longer, more developed spikes down the middle of its back as well as more spikes on its wings, all with a white tip including the horn. They are more aggressive and more vibrant when enraged as their veins glow an unusual green.
Like HC common Espinas, they have the ability to charge at incredible speeds, scratching the ground as the only warning. A new attack they perform is ducking down while charging up a giant fireball similar to the ones they make huge explosions with, only it spits it into the sky, which bursts into multiple balls that rain on its enemies with incredible precision aimed at up to four targets at once.
- Espinas Subspecies can be found in the Gorge as its natural habitat, but is also known to roost in the Tower and Tower 2.
- Espinas Subspecies' roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- HC Espinas Subspecies' roar requires Super HG Earplugs to block.
- Espinas Subspecies has green eyes in Monster Hunter Online, similar to it's Frontier HC variant.
- The poisonous sludge Espinas Subspecies spits, along with the puddles of poisons left by it's fireballs, inflict Silked