One of Frostfang Barioth's most defining features is the tusks, which have taken on a dark hue which is contrasted by the icy white coloration at the front, giving the monster's overall tusks a more chilling appearance. Frostfang Barioth also sports thicker fur across its forelimbs and face, sporting an aged look compared to the standard individual. Finally, much of the Frostfang Barioth's body is covered with a form of frost to reflect upon its amplified abilities to use its sub-zero breath.
Behavior and Abilities
Frostfang Barioth has a sub-zero breath attack, very similar to that of Velkhana's, that leaves a trail of frost on the ground that lingers for a few seconds. These frost trails will cause the hunter that touches them to be covered in frost and become sluggish. It can also breathe an explosive ice projectile that sends hunters flying. The Frostfang Barioth also maintains much of its physical prowess similar to the original monster, allowing it to deal heavy damage to anyone who is unfortunate enough to get caught by the debilitating effects of its icy breath. However, Frostfang Barioth tends to use its breath attack more and jumps around less often.
Click on Expand to see contents.
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Introduced)
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
The snow-white flying wyvern with huge tusks found in the frozen tundra. It uses its forelegs and tail to traverse ice with ease.
- Before its official announcement, Frostfang Barioth was briefly teased in the trailer for the Developer Update 6 for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. At the end of the trailer, it was possible to see the eyes and some of the face details of Frostfang Barioth, in the middle of a very dark snowstorm.
- Frostfang Barioth's introduction marks the first time that a monster receives both a Subspecies and Variant counterpart throughout the entire main series.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Frostfang Barioth was introduced in the 4th Title Update for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, alongside Alatreon.
- Despite being in the same Title Update as Alatreon, Frostfang Barioth became available to hunt on August 7th, 2020. Around a month later after the release of the Title Update
- Frostfang Barioth always appears as a Tempered monster, in a similar way to Scarred Yian Garuga.
- Frostfang Barioth can only be hunted in the Event Quest "The Last White Knight". The name of the quest is a reference to Barioth's title in Monster Hunter Tri.
- Frostfang Barioth's Hunting Horn will emit a song similar to a part of the "Monster Hunter 3 (tri-) OST - Tundra Battle", depending on which song in the queue is started first.
- When Frostfang Barioth notices that a hunter is caught in the frost, it will immediately perform the "Super Pounce" attack.