One of Frostfang Barioth's most defining features is the tusks, which have taken on a dark hue which is contrasted by the icy white coloration at the front, giving the monster's overall tusks a more chilling appearance. Frostfang Barioth also sports thicker fur across its forelimbs and face, sporting an aged look compared to the standard individual. Finally, much of the Frostfang Barioth's body is covered with a form of frost to reflect upon its amplified abilities to use its sub-zero breath.
Behavior and Abilities
Frostfang Barioth has a sub-zero breath attack, very similar to that of Velkhana's, that leaves a trail of frost on the ground that lingers for a few seconds. These frost trails will cause the hunter that touches them to be covered in frost and become sluggish. It can also breathe an explosive ice projectile that sends hunters flying. The Frostfang Barioth also maintains much of its physical prowess similar to the original monster, allowing it to deal heavy damage to anyone who is unfortunate enough to get caught by the debilitating effects of its icy breath. However, Frostfang Barioth tends to use its breath attack more and jumps around less often.
|Hitzone Damage Data|
|Hitzone||Cutting Damage||Impact Damage||Shot Damage|
(25 when wounded)
(45 when wounded)
(30 when wounded)
|Breakable Parts:||Head(Twice), Claws(Individually), Tail(Sever)|
|Notes: The value "Claws" refers to Barioth's wingfingers part while "Forelegs" refers to a part of the limb from the shoulder up to the foot and "Wings" refers to the wing membrane|
|Abnormal Status Data|
|Poison||-5 / 10 seconds||320 damage / 25 seconds||-|
|Paralysis||-5 / 10 seconds||0 damage / 10 seconds||-|
|Sleep||-5 / 10 seconds||0 damage / 40 seconds||-|
|Blastblight||-||100 damage / 0 seconds||-|
|-5 / 10 seconds||200 drain / 0 seconds||-|
|Stun||-5 / 10 seconds||0 damage / 7 seconds||-|
|-||-||0 damage / 20→16→12→8 seconds||-|
|Dung||-||-||0 damage / 30 seconds||-|
|Pitfall Trap||-||-||10→8→6→4→2 seconds||-|
|Shock Trap||-||-||8→6→4→2 seconds||-|
|Ivy Trap||-||-||0 damage / 8 seconds||-|
|150 + 0||-5 / 5 seconds||-||-|
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Introduced)
This section is about monster materials unique to Frostfang Barioth in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. For detailed lists, see Frostfang Barioth Carves.
|11||4900z||Very rare Frostfang Barioth material. Mostly obtained as a reward. Broadly used for many purposes.|
|11||7600z||Very rare Barioth material. Obtained by carving its severed tail. Stiff, used to craft gear.|
|10||6020z||Very rare Barioth material. Obtained by breaking its wings. Tough, used in many weapons.|
|10||6130z||Very rare Barioth material. Obtained by carving its severed tail. Stiff, used to craft gear.|
|11||10300z||Very rare Frostfang Barioth material. Obtained by breaking its head. Sharp, used in many weapons.|
|9||8000z||A wyvern gem that has grown further over the ages. Emits a mesmerizing shimmer.|
This section is about Equipments made from Frostfang Barioth materials in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. For more information, see Frostfang Barioth Equipment.
The following is a complete weapon list for Frostfang weapons:
|Great Sword:||Long Sword:||Sword and Shield:|
|Dual Blades:||Hammer:||Hunting Horn:|
|Charge Blade:||Insect Glaive:||Light Bowgun:|
- Before its official announcement, Frostfang Barioth was briefly teased in the trailer for the Developer Update 6 for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. At the end of the trailer, it was possible to see the eyes and some of the face details of Frostfang Barioth, in the middle of a very dark snowstorm.
- Frostfang Barioth's introduction marks the first time that a monster receives both a Subspecies and Variant counterpart throughout the entire main series.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Frostfang Barioth was introduced in the 4th Title Update for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, alongside Alatreon.
- Despite being in the same Title Update as Alatreon, Frostfang Barioth became available to hunt on August 7th, 2020. Around a month later after the release of the Title Update.
- Frostfang Barioth was first available be hunted in the Event Quest "The Last White Knight". The name of the quest is a reference to Barioth's title in Monster Hunter Tri.
- Frostfang Barioth's Hunting Horn will emit a song similar to a part of the "Monster Hunter 3 (tri) OST - Tundra Battle", depending on which song in the queue is started first.
- Frostfang Barioth was originally introduced as an exclusively Tempered monster, but later on in another Event Quest "Old Dog, New Trick" a normal version became available.
- When Frostfang Barioth notices that a hunter is caught in the frost, it will immediately perform the "Super Pounce" attack.
- When enraged, Frostfang Barioth can do its Super Pounce twice in a row.