Giaorugu is a bipedal Brute Wyvern that inhabits the Polar Sea. Its upper body is covered with freezing blue spinal plates, a light blue scaly hide, and a blueish white underbelly. The two head crests of Abiorugu have fused together to form one larger, stronger crest ringed with spines; it also has a long snout, spikes that grow on its jaw, and two long fangs protruding from its jaw. Its legs are muscular and powerful, like all Brute Wyverns, and reinforced with spines. Giaorugu's tail is large, slim, and resembles a blade. It is also unique; when slammed into the ground, it will become encrusted with ice, which makes all attacks with the tail more far reaching and powerful. Its head-plate spikes, jaw spikes, claws, toes, diamond-shaped spikes, and tail blade are light yellow in colour.
It is capable of using Ice-based attacks, whereas the common Abiorugu uses Fire. Giaorugu is also capable of cartwheeling its body and rolling directly forward to attack in a wheel-like fashion similar to that of Uragaan. It can shoot an ice beam, similar to Ukanlos, and can utilize its jaw to throw boulders, Giaorugu is also capable of covering its tail in ice adding an extra layer of protection and giving it more range.
Giaorugu is an active predator. It is aggressive and more than willing to battle any perceived threat that enters its territory.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Zenith Giaorugu
- Giaorugu's head crest can be broken, along with one of its fangs. Its tail spikes and bladed tail can be broken as well (although the main body of the tail cannot be cut off).
- Giaorugu is believed to be the ancestor of Abiorugu.
- Giaorugu's roars and growls are different from those of Abiorugu.
- When enraged Giaorugu's dorsal plates will be coated in frost and it'll huff an icy mist.
- Giaorugu's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- Some of its attacks, including a roll and chin slam attack, originally come from Uragaan.
- Giaorugu's concept and design motif came from the Gunlance.
Monster Hunter Frontier
- When in Area 4 of the Polar Sea, Giaorugu can cause chunks of ice and snow to fall if its attacks hit the walls.
Monster Hunter Online
- In Online Giaorugu's crest appears split, making it look identical to Abiorugu's.