- "A brute wyvern that wields its heavy blue tail like a blade. It grows hotter and more keen with each strike until it glows red."
- — MHWI Description
Glavenus is a large Brute Wyvern with dark red scales covering its body. Two rows of blue, bony plates run along its back, going from the eyes to the tail. Its underside is more of a cream color. The main feature of Glavenus's physiology is its huge, sword-like tail. The tail was originally the same color as its back plates, although it will turn a rusty color or a fiery red during the battle. Its hind legs are powerful and muscular, while its arms are much smaller and mostly useless. The face and jaws are covered in sturdy plating, particularly resembling a Carnotaurus' head, though the arms and proportions are modeled after Tyrannosaurus.
Glavenus is able to sharpen its blade-like tail in its mouth to give itself the ability to create fiery explosions with its tail. These explosions not only give Glavenus much greater range with some of its attacks, but also make them more powerful. Glavenus is also able to breathe fire projectiles from its mouth.
Glavenus are relentless and aggressive predators. Glavenus oftens drags its tail across the ground and roars at the foe, revealing the heat and fire glowing in it's throat. This shows the enemy that it uses fire as a weapon in an attempt to scare them off. Not only are they considered one of the strongest Brute Wyverns, they are even believed to be the smartest ones around.
Glavenus has been seen inhabiting deep forested areas like the Jurassic Frontier and Jungle, arid deserts like the Dunes and Desert, and volcanic areas like the Volcano and the Volcanic Hollow. They can also be found wandering the Tower 3.
Glavenus's Japanese name (Dinovaldo) is a reference to Dinosaur (恐竜), Nova (ノバ), and Halberd (ハルベルド).
- Monster Hunter Generations (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
MHW Iceborne Damage Effectiveness
For carves and materials from other games, see Glavenus Carves
Monster Hunter Generations
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Hellblade Glavenus
For more, see Glavenus Photo Gallery
Music ThemesMHGen: Glavenus Theme
- Glavenus's concept was a Land-Based Rathalos.
- Glavenus's overall design was to give it the appearance of a glimmering flame.
- To make Glavenus different from other monsters, the developers chose to give its tail three phases; Sharpened, Heated, and Dull.
- Glavenus' arms and back can be wounded, its head can be wounded twice and its tail can be wounded and severed.
- Glavenus's tail can only be severed when it is heated.
- When Glavenus's tail is severed, it actually deals damage to hunters when it lands.
- When enraged, Glavenus's back spikes will turn red and red veins will glow on its legs. Smoke will also come out of its mouth.
- When fatigued, it will fail to spit fire projectiles from its mouth. It will also trip after doing some of its tail-based attacks.
- If its throat is attacked while it's glowing red, Glavenus will fall over and drop a shiny, and the throat will turn back to normal.
- Rarely, Glavenus will attempt to pin down hunters like Deviljho.
Monster Hunter Generations
- It will prey on Larinoth to recover stamina.
- Glavenus' roar requires Earplugs to block.
- In-game, the Glavenus encountered are always male.
- G-Rank Glavenus gains two new attacks: a slow and telegraphed but powerful tail slam, and a quick tail slam that follows from a side bite. It can also use its pin even when not tired.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Glavenus has Turf Wars with Rathalos and its Subspecies, Tigrex and its Subspecies, Zinogre and its Subspecies, Odogaron and its Subspecies, and Diablos and its Subspecies.
- Glavenus can only spit lava after sharpening its tail with its jaws.
- Glavenus's lava spit will leave behind a spot of burning material that deals continuous damage to hunters before exploding. This damage can be alleviated by wearing the Fireproof Mantle.
- When it is enraged and its tail is red hot, Glavenus can slash either rightwards or leftwards after performing its tail slam attack. The direction in which it will attack can be predicted by watching the way its blade shifts after the first impact.
Monster Hunter Stories
Glavenus egg fragments are obtained through fighting online players in the Albarax tournament under the MH Gen rule set, 3 fragments for a victory and one fragment for a loss. The more egg fragments, the higher the chance of hatching a Glavenus.