The Great Maccao's feathered crest sets them apart from its Maccao pack. Although superficially similar to its younger brethren, a Great Maccao is bigger and bulkier, with more brightly-colored plumage. It also has powerful legs it uses to kick threats and to move with great speed, and its spiked tail allows it to propel itself forward and jump with tremendous force.
Great Maccao has powerful legs it uses to kick threats and to move with great speed. It can stand on its tail and launch itself forward. Should its tail be damaged, it will be heavily restricted due to relying on its tail for offense and movement.
Unlike other Theropod Bird Wyverns, Great Maccao exhibits little to no control over its pack. It would much rather run than stay and fight alongside the Maccao. However, it is known to work with its pack to hunt large prey.
Music ThemesMHGen: Great Maccao Theme
MHGen Breakable Parts
- Great Maccao's head and tail can be wounded.
- It is the only one of the Bird Wyvern "leaders" to have two breakable parts, rather than only one.
- When its tail is broken, Great Maccao will fall over when bouncing off its tail to attack the hunter.
- It can be affected by Sonic Bombs.
- Great Maccao can call for Maccao, but unlike Great Jaggi and Great Baggi it can not command them in any way like the two.
- When fatigued, Great Maccao will take longer to recover from a hipcheck.
- Great Maccao recovers stamina by feeding on eggs in a nest.
- If the Great Maccao is attacked as it is propelling itself with its tail, it will fall over and drop a shiny.