|Some of the names in this Article use an unofficial English translation of its official Japanese Name.|
The name is obtained either by using Japanese translating programs or through previous existing English equivalent terms in the game. The names will be used as quick references around other articles in the Monster Hunter Wiki until Capcom reveals the official English names for them.
Gurenzeburu is a primarily blue and cream colored monster. Though it sports a navy blue for most of its shells, it has a lighter baby blue coloration on its horn, the spikes on the end of its tail, the ridge of its back, and the back tips of its wings. It also has some red on it, such as the lines on its sides, its claws, spines on its tail, its wingtalons which also have a cream membrane connected between them, and some spikes and lines on its head.
Its large armored horn is its primary means of offense with attacks such as charges and slamming its horn down; however, it can also attack with a water beam, water balls, a hip check, a turning bite, slamming its wings against the ground, taking to the air and trying to land on hunters, and Gurenzeburu can even produce a paralyzing gas in the same manner as a Gravios' gas attacks. They can also throw some of their tail spikes as a projectile attack, they stick to the ground and act as electrical landmines when it's storming.
Despite their title Gurenzeburu are quite peaceful under normal circumstances and are even known to protect groups of Erupe and Burukku in their area, preferring to feed on flora, insects, and ore, though if any of those resources become scarce they will eat some members.
However come anything that threatens them, attacks their herds, or if a storm comes which is rather common in the Highland they turn aggressive and will attack anything they deem a threat relentlessly.
The Highland, in which Gurenzeburu primarily lives is known for its rapidly changing weather the lightning storms can even damage Gurenzeburu should it be struck directly, which is quite likely to happen given the metal coating around their horn and the metallic tail spikes. They can also be spotted on rare occasions in the Forest and Hills.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hardcore (HC) Gurenzeburu
Hardcore Gurenzeburu appears to be older and more mature; its horn has become longer and sturdier, its spikes have grown longer, and its overall body color appears darker. It can be first hunted after reaching HR5, unlocking all HC Gurenzeburu from HR2-5.
HC Gurenzeburu has new attacks. The first one involves it smashing its horn into the ground, causing large AoE damage. The second new attack is a charge, which inflicts KO status and knocks Hunters over.
At HR5, HC Gurenzeburu can charge up its body, enhancing its attacks with water damage and increasing its attack speed.
- Gurenzeburu's head, back, wingtips, chest and tail can be broken and tail can be severed.
- Gurenzeburu's tail can only be severed when near death and the amount of damage needed to cut.
- Gurenzeburu's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- Gurenzeburu only makes paralysis gas after itself has been paralyzed.
- Low Rank Gurenzeburu is unable to go into Rage Mode.
- Low Rank Gurenzeburu has a reputation for having the attack strength of a High Rank Monster and same for High Rank Gurenzeburu reputation for hitting like a HR5 monster.
- HR5 Gurenzeburu can launch tail spikes in a circle and leave them on the ground. If this is done outside during a storm these spikes become land mines, anyone who steps on these spikes will instantly activate the spike making it attract lightning shocking the unfortunate victim with what could be considered one of Gurenzeburu's strongest attacks.
- These trap spikes have resulted in the death of many hunters leading to instant quest failures.
- HC Gurenzeburu's roar requires Super HG Earplugs to block.
- Sometimes when flying to different areas or when just spawning in instead of flying down and landing Gurenzeburu will instead fall and crash getting up a second afterwards.
- Gurenzeburu's Water attacks inflict Silked.
- Oddly all of Gurenzeburu's sound effects in Online are taken from Rathalos.