Gypceros is among the largest and heaviest known Bird Wyverns. Its most notable features are the lamp-like crest on top of its head and a rubbery, shock-resistant hide. It has a long pink tail with a bulbous tip, and is a uniform blue-grey across most of its body. It possesses a poison sac which allows it to produce toxic fluids for use against attackers.
Gypceros can use its luminous crest to produce dizzying flashes and temporarily disorient foes. Its elastic tail can extend and be used as a whip, and it can spit large globules of poison to intoxicate attackers. Due to its shock-resistant hide and flashing crest, it is immune to both shock traps and flash bombs.
Gypceros is a naturally timid wyvern. However, it is rather intelligent and crafty, as evidenced by its willingness to feign death in order to draw a foe in for a surprise attack.
Gypceros is usually found in swamps and marshlands, although it can occasionally be seen in jungles and open grasslands.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hard Core (HC) Gypceros
HC Gypceros has poison stains on its face and oddly larger tipped tail and new behavior and attacks. It's able to spit poison that sits in place like a short pillar until it fades.
HC Gypceros is known to pull even more astounding fake outs than average Gypceros showing its intelligence in observing how hunters use status attack weapons. Its been seen to fake paralyzed and fake sleep along with its famed playing dead act.
It will chain these acts into combos with its attacks such as faking sleep then instantly starting a flash to blind hunters followed by a new long reach tail attack.
Click on Expand to see contents.
- Monster Hunter (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter G
- Monster Hunter Freedom
- Monster Hunter 2
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2
- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- Monster Hunter 4
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Monster Hunter Generations
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
- Monster Hunter Frontier
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 2.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 3.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 4.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 5.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 6.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 7.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 8.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 9.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.1
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.2
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.3
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.4
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G
- Monster Hunter Frontier G2
- Monster Hunter Frontier G3
- Monster Hunter Frontier G Genuine
- Monster Hunter Frontier G5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G6
- Monster Hunter Frontier G7
- Monster Hunter Frontier G8
- Monster Hunter Frontier G9
- Monster Hunter Frontier G10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z Zenith
Analysis and Guides
For details on older games this monster has appeared in, see Gypceros Guides.
|Gypceros Analysis for Monster Hunter 4|
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
|Brighter Red means more damage, while Darker Red means lesser damage.|
Credits for the Images used above goes to kei_9 (ケイ) of Pixiv
|Raw Hitzone Damage Data|
|Hitzone||Cutting Damage||Impact Damage||Shot Damage|
|Element Hitzone Damage Data|
|This Monster is weakest to:|| Fire on Head:|
|Status Effects Data|
|Item Effectiveness Data|
Analysis Data Source/s:
MH4U Breakable Parts
- Breaking the Crystal on the head gives the chances of obtaining a Lightcrystal.
- Breaking this crystal stops the Gypceros from using its flash attack. After breaking the crystal, Gypceros will try flashing unsuccessfully.
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- In G-rank quests of the monster, when a hunter breaks its crest and it tries to flash unsuccessfully, instead of the dizzying flash, it ignites a poison gas similar to the flaming gas that a Basarios uses to hunters.
- G-rank Gypceros' poison is more purple in color and depletes health at a faster rate than ordinary poison.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Gypceros can run on and across walls in order to attack the hunter.
- It can become infected by the Frenzy Virus.
- At the Sunken Hollow in Area 5, there are 3 dead Gypceros hanging from webs made from Nerscylla, showing that Gypceros is Nerscylla's main prey.
- Gypceros sleeps in area 7 in the Sunken Hollow.
- In High-rank, it can immediately flash the hunter after a peck attack.
- In G-rank, it can spit a poison ball at the air and it lands on the ground many seconds later.
- When low on stamina it will fail to spit poison and will fall after charging.
Monster Hunter Frontier
- It is known to eat meat placed on the ground.
- Gypceros can be a pet. Not very surprising it eats poison mushrooms and shiny objects.
Monster Hunter Online
- This monster is unlocked at Level 15.