Hypnocatrice is a medium-sized Bird Wyvern covered in bright, colorful feathers. It has extremely powerful legs with large feet, and a hard, sharp beak. Despite its feathered appearance, Hypnocatrice flies using pterosaur or bat-like membraned wings, leaving its feather arrangements strictly for display purposes. It possesses a sleep sac, which allows it to produce a colorless mist that can cause attackers to fall unconscious.
It is equipped with a sleeping sac that can put hunters and other monsters to sleep. Its strong legs allow it to deliver powerful kicks, and its small size and light weight allow it to move with speed and agility during battle.
Hypnocatrice is not particularly aggressive or territorial, but will stand its ground if threatened.
- Monster Hunter Frontier (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 2.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 3.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 4.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 5.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 6.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 7.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 8.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 9.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.1
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.2
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.3
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.4
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G
- Monster Hunter Frontier G2
- Monster Hunter Frontier G3
- Monster Hunter Frontier G Genuine
- Monster Hunter Frontier G5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G6
- Monster Hunter Frontier G7
- Monster Hunter Frontier G8
- Monster Hunter Frontier G9
- Monster Hunter Frontier G10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z Zenith
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hard Core (HC) Hypnocatrice
HC Hypnocatrice appears similar to a normal Hypnocatrice. The normal orange coloured feathers are now a warm pink color, with its back feathers featuring a small yellow tint. Its wings also have more of a pink colour in them, which it will use to create much stronger winds than a normal Hypnocatrice.
Main Article: Zenith Hypnocatrice
Breeding Season Hypnocatrice
Main Article: Breeding Season Hypnocatrice
Main Article: Gold Hypnocatrice
- Alongside Lavasioth, Hypnocatrice is one of the only two monsters that debuted in Monster Hunter Frontier and later introduced to the main series.
- While it is true that both Hypnocatrice and Lavasioth debuted in Monster Hunter Frontier Season 1.0, they were already planned for the main line games for quite some time.
- In the end, both teams ended up working on the concepts together for the releases of Frontier Season 1.0 and Freedom Unite respectively.
- Both monsters' original concepts can be found in the Generation 1 art books.
- There are minor visual differences between Hypnocatrice in Monster Hunter Frontier and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite:
- In Freedom Unite, its back feathers are rainbow-colored, whereas in Frontier, they are a solid orange.
- This is most likely due to the fact that the Frontier Hypnocatrice was built using a different engine and had to be re-modeled from scratch for Freedom Unite. The addition of rainbow feathers was most likely a retrospective design decision by the character artists at Capcom.
- In Frontier, Hypnocatrice does not have the jump kick attack, but instead has an upward sleep gas attack that it does not have in MHFU.
- Its name most likely came from two different words. One is "Hypnos" which is the Greek god of sleep. The other is "Cockatrice." The Cockatrice is a mythical Wyvern with a rooster's head.
- When enraged, Hypnocatrice's tail feathers will stand up more prominently, unless near death, when they lie flat.
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- Hypnocatrice's beak can be broken.
- Hypnocatrice was the target in the easiest quest of the PSN demo.
Monster Hunter Frontier
- Hypnocatrice's beak can be broken.
- They can be found in the Desert.
- There is a Hypnocatrice that can create large sleep-gas bubbles in the air that will slowly fall and anyone that is caught in them will be put to sleep.
Monster Hunter Online
- This monster is unlocked at Level 20.
- Hypnocatrice's beak and tail feathers can be broken.
- Nearly harmless while flashed, staying close to the monster creates large opportunities to deal damage.