Lunastra is a dragon with leonine features and a cool coloration. She has a prominent mane, large fangs, and a distinct crest that resembles a sort of crown. Her wings are covered in fur. She is the female counterpart to Teostra.
Lunastra, and her partner Teostra are unique monsters because they actually use their Flame Sac to produce a fire breathing effect, rather than just a beam or a fireball. Prior to Monster Hunter: World, Lunastra could produce a highly flammable powder and, by using her wings, spread it across the air. After this, she gnashes her teeth to create a spark, which then causes the powder around herself to ignite and explode. The explosions have random range; they can be either close, reasonably far away or very far away from where she's standing. If the sparks are red, then the explosions will be close, but if the sparks are yellow, then the explosions will be distant.
However, in Monster Hunter: World, Lunastra can no longer spread powder across the air to create explosions. Instead, she spreads blue powder across the ground which ignites when it comes in contact with fire, creating a blue flame that slowly damages whoever stands in it, and slowly drains the health of anyone near them who doesn't have protection against the heat, even in areas that don't normally require such protection, such as cool drinks. She often uses her wings to spread this powder, which creates a strong wind that immobilizes hunters for a moment. When a fire attack comes in contact with the blue flames, it will deal damage and create more strong wind. The blue flames can be extinguished with any water weapon. Lunastra can also create a massive heat wave that will quickly drain the health of anyone in it's range, it creates blue fire nearly everywhere within it's range, and it creates wind pressure to make it difficult for any hunter caught within it to escape.
Lunastra is the female counterpart to the Teostra, though the two are rarely seen alongside one another. But, when they are seen together in Monster Hunter: World, they can do a special bond attack. No other monster has this, and it's a combination of Lunastra's heat wave together with Teostra's supernova.
Like Teostra, prior to Monster Hunter: World her flame-producing abilities can be diminished if she is poisoned or her crown-like horn structure is destroyed.
Like their male counterparts they are quite aggressive, although under typical circumstances Lunastra are known to be less quick to attack, this changes during their mating season however with them immediately attacking on sight.
They are known to inhabit hot areas such as volcanoes and deserts, and are specially adapted to utilize the Fire Element.
Click on Expand to see contents.
- Monster Hunter 2 (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2
- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- Monster Hunter: World
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Monster Hunter Frontier
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 2.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 3.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 4.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 5.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 6.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 7.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 8.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 9.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.1
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.2
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.3
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.4
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G
- Monster Hunter Frontier G2
- Monster Hunter Frontier G3
- Monster Hunter Frontier G Genuine
- Monster Hunter Frontier G5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G6
- Monster Hunter Frontier G7
- Monster Hunter Frontier G8
- Monster Hunter Frontier G9
- Monster Hunter Frontier G10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z Zenith
MHW Damage Effectiveness
For carves and materials, see Lunastra Carves
For more information, see Lunastra Equipment
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hardcore (HC) Lunastra
For more images, see Lunastra Photo Gallery
|MHF2: Lunastra & Teostra Music Theme|
|MHW: Lunastra Music Theme|
- Like Teostra, when Lunastra is poisoned, its flame aura disappears.
- Dragon Element is needed to break Lunastra's horns.
- Lunastra uses largely the same moves as its male counterpart Teostra, but there are a few little differences; unlike the average Teostra, it can produce an explosion with its tail whip. It also has a different supernova
- Lunastra's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- A good armor skill to use when fighting Lunastra is the Terrain Skill, as it reduces or removes the effects of her health-sapping flame aura.
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
- Lunastra is not available in Guild Quests; they are only found in Village quests.
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- G-rank Lunastra armor (Empress X) is obtainable; it requires High-rank Lunastra materials, and G-rank Teostra materials.
- After slaying a Lunastra, the old peddler woman will give players a Biography of the Hero of Jumbo, which can be used to craft a Sword and Shield.
- In the Volcanic Belt, Lunastra will only alternate between Areas 7, 6, and 4 except for the first fight, whilst in the Tower the hunter would be locked in a 1-on-1 fight in Area 10, with a giant boulder blocking the exit. However, she can also appear in Area 5 of the Tower for a while, before leaving for Area 10.
- Lunastra now rotates its head before charging, unlike Teostra.
Monster Hunter: World
- Lunastra was permanently added to the game on May 31, 2018 (UTC).
- Rather than focusing on putting down explosive powder and detonating it, like Teostra, Lunastra covers the environment in a smoldering blue substance that will burst into flames when hit by one of her fire attacks, sapping the health of hunters who stand on it. Said substance will produce various effects when interacting with some attacks, even from other monsters.
- The substance will burst when making contact with Teostra's flame breath attack.
- If Kushala Daora's tornado pass through it, it will become a tornado of blue flame.
- The blue substance will vanish if struck with Crystalburst or Water Element strikes.
- Lunastra can put herself in a 'enhanced mode' which gives her increased movement speed, damage and heat aura that can sap the health of hunters who get too near.
- This enhanced mode has 4 stages which Lunastra can advance any time. Sustaining the final stage long enough will have her do a Supernova at the expense of exiting the mode itself.
- At the third and final stage of the mode, some of Lunastra's physical attack become capable of igniting and bursting the blue patches she set on the ground.
- The mode's heat aura can be countered with the effect of Cool Drink.
- Each of Lunastra's wings are separate breakable parts, unlike Teostra.
- Lunastra shares all of Teostra's Turf Wars with slight difference against Nergigante. While still physically loosing the fight, Lunastra will retaliate with a point blank explosion that will chip off every grown spike on Nergigante's body, dealing damage in the process, but will also douse Lunastra's own aura as a result.
- Lunastra's equivalent of Teostra's Supernova is officially named "Hyper Nova" in French versions of Monster Hunter World, and "Hellflare" (ヘルフレア) in Japanese versions of Monster Hunter World.
- Lunastra's 'hypernova' is performed twice in succession, after which all the fire patches in the area simultaneously disappear. Although more telegraphed than Teostra's, a wide area around Lunastra will be shrouded in health-sapping heat that can't be neutralized with Cool Drink. The heat will go off after the second blast.
- The wind pressure effect generated by Lunastra's Hypernova burst cannot be neutralized with Wind Resistance skill. Only the effect of Rocksteady Mantle and special skills that specifically negates ALL kinds of wind (such as "Kushala's Flight" armor set skill) can nullify the effect.
- When Lunastra and Teostra are in the same area and simultaneously enraged, they will perform a unique animation known as a 'Bond'. During this 'Bond', Lunastra and Teostra will simultaneously perform their nova attacks creating a massive explosion dealing significant damage to any player caught within it. After this bond attack, Teostra typically leaves the area.
- Occasionally, Teostra and Lunastra will perform the other's nova attack during their bond, with Lunastra performing the Supernova and leaving the area, while Teostra stays in the area to finish the Hypernova.
- Lunastra can do a 'power up stance' in which she will stand still and try to advance her 'enhanced mode'. Inflicting enough weapon damage on her in this state without inflicting stagger will result in immediate counterattack.
- Unlike other Elder Dragon quests, if an Elder Dragon invades in Lunastra's quest, they will stay in the locale, even after a Turf War.
- Flashing Lunastra while she's in the air will just make her staggered, unlike Teostra, which will fall into the ground.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- In Iceborne's Master Rank, Lunastra is unlocked by raising the desert or volcanic regions of the Guiding Lands to level 5. Unlike other monsters unlocked in the Guiding Lands, Lunastra will occasionally appear in expeditions in other locales and has her own non-arena optional quests.
- Lunastra is the only monster that existed in the base game that needs to be unlocked in the Guiding Lands.
- Lunastra gains a new move akin to a smalller version of her Hypernova that only affects the area she is facing.
- In Master Rank, Lunastra will immediately execute her Hypernova when stunned by a flash and if she is far enough into her Enhanced Mode.
Monster Hunter Frontier
- HC Lunastra's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
Monster Hunter Online
- Monster Hunter Online marked the first time that Lunastra could be hunted with four players.
- Lunastra shares many moves with the Fourth Generation iteration of Teostra, including an identical Supernova.
- Despite this, Lunastra also possesses a few new moves exclusive to her, such as an exploding flying tail-whip, and the ability to use her wings mid-flight to gather explosive dust in front of her before igniting it.
- Oddly enough, like Teostra, Lunastra reuses many of Kushala Daora's sound effects, as well as its theme, in Monster Hunter Online.