Malfestio superficially resembles an owl. Its body is covered in blue plumage with a grayish belly, a yellow collar, and a white face with a small beak and red eyes. On its head are long tufts that point back and are tipped with yellow. There are hints of yellow on its legs that end in scaly feet that have two talons and one small vestigial toe. Its wings have bright blue membranes. Along its wings are long blade-like claws. Its flattened tail ends in a three-pointed shape. Like a real owl, it can turn its head around to see directly behind itself.
From its feathers Malfestio can produce yellow scales that disoriente prey and put them in a confused state. It can produce an ultrasound beam that can easily put prey to sleep. The claws along its wings are usually hidden but are revealed once the Bird Wyvern becomes enraged. In rage mode it will begin to use these claws as weapons.
Malfestio is a nocturnal predator that uses its talons and wing claws to attack prey. Like Nargacuga, it sleeps in trees to avoid terrestrial predators.
Malfestio is known to inhabit the Jurassic Frontier, Deserted Island, and Primal Forest.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Nightcloak Malfestio
MHGen Breakable Parts
|Right Wing (x1)|
|Left Wing (x1)|
- Malfestio's head and tail can be wounded, and its wingtalons can be broken.
- When becoming enraged, Malfestio's tufts erect, part of the face turns red and wing talons extend.
- When enraged, it's capable of inflicting Confusion with more attacks, and will sweep the hypnotic beam from right to left instead of firing it directly forwards.
- When Fatigued, the tufts hang down and Malfestio will stumble when it tries to charge or attack with its wings.
- Malfestio will feed on Kelbi to restore stamina.
- Malfestio is capable of using a unique status effect, Confusion, which will cause afflicted hunters to have their movement controls reversed.
- Malfestio's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- At G-Rank, it gains the ability to do a wing slam similar to Astalos.