|“||A specially evolved Leviathan with a sleek, lithe body. Mizutsune can secrete a peculiar fluid that covers its foes in immobilizing bubbles. Once its foe's movement is impaired, it closes in with spry, dance-like movements.||„|
Like most other Leviathans, Mizutsune has a long, slender body. However, it is one of the few Leviathans to actually have fur on its body. This dark purple fur covers its chest, underbelly, legs and tail. Its scales are light colored and resemble those of a fish. Its head has a long snout and is beautifully adorned by many fin-like appendages. These fins are pink with yellow markings, and they can also be seen on its back and tail. Its feet are said to be quite different from other Leviathans and allow Mizutsune to move swiftly on land.
Mizutsune is able to breathe bubbles at its enemies and able to produce these bubbles in its fur. These bubbles inflict bubble blight, which hinders movement. It can also fire pressurized jets of water from its mouth, much like Plesioth.
Mizutsune isn't very aggressive towards hunters. However, males have been known to go berserk during the mating season, attacking anyone who comes across them. This rage is the reason hunters are requested to hunt them.
Mizutsune's name comes from a combination of the Japanese words for water, "mizu" (水)/(ミズ), and fox, "kitsune" (狐)/(キツネ).
Similarly, it's Japanese name, Tamamitsune, is a portmanteau of the Japanese words for jewel, "tama" (玉)/(タマ); water, "mizu" (水)/(ミズ); and fox, "kitsune" (狐)/(キツネ).
- Monster Hunter Spirits
- Monster Hunter Explore
- Monstie Drop Monster Hunter Stories
- Monster Hunter Riders
- Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
- Puzzle & Dragons
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
An Apex form of Mizutsune first appearing in Monster Hunter Rise.
|MHGen: Mizutsune Theme|
- Mizutsune is confirmed to be Ryozo Tsujimoto's favorite of the Fated Four
- The concept for Mizutsune's armor was a Fox Marriage (Japanese キツネの嫁入り). The male armor gives the appearance of a groom (Japanese 新郎) while the female armor gives the appearance of a bride (Japanese 新婦).
- Mizutsune's equipment design came from the kimono.
- When low on stamina, Mizutsune's yellow fins change to a blue color.
- When in Rage Mode, Mizutsune's fins turn red.
- While in Rage Mode, some of Mizutsune's bubbles stay on the ground. Its bubbles can also turn green or red, healing or granting an attack boost when they hit the hunter.
- Mizutsune's claws and back can be wounded, its head can be wounded twice and its tail can be wounded and severed.
- Mizutsune will eat fish from a fishing spot to recover Stamina.
- Mizutsune's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- In-game, the Mizutsune encountered are always male.
- Female Mizutsune have duller colors and smaller fins.
- If Mizutsune is staggered during certain attacks, such as the water beam and slide, it will fall over and drop a shiny.
Monster Hunter Generations
- Mizutsune is elligible for the Hyper State.
- Hyper Claw+ and Hyper Fluid can be obtained from Hyper Mizutsune missions.
- There is an Event Quest where players can fight a very small Mizutsune.
Monster Hunter Rise
- Mizutsune gains several new attacks.
- It can shoot out a short burst of water from its mouth that inflicts Waterblight
- It can use the formerly G-Rank exclusive claw slam in any rank. However, it is only performed once instead of twice.
- When enraged, it can slide horizontally on its bubblefoam while using its water beam.
- It can shoot its water beam upwards, followed by it sweeping it from left to right or right to left.
- It can be observed preying on fish or grooming its claws when not provoked.