Like most other Leviathans, Mizutsune has a long, slender body. However, it is one of the few Leviathans to actually have fur on its body. This dark purple fur covers its chest, underbelly, legs and tail. Its scales are light colored and resemble those of a fish. Its head has a long snout and is beautifully adorned by many fin-like appendages. These fins are pink with yellow markings, and they can also be seen on its back and tail. Its feet are said to be quite different from other Leviathans and allow Mizutsune to move swiftly on land.
Mizutsune is able to breathe bubbles at its enemies and able to produce these bubbles in its fur. It is unknown at this time what the bubbles do though many believe it hinders the movement of prey. It can also fire pressurized jets of water from its mouth, much like Plesioth.
Mizutsune isn't very aggressive towards hunters. However, males have been known to go berserk during the mating season, attacking anyone who comes across them. This rage is the reason hunters are requested to hunt them.
Mizutsune's name comes from a combination of the Japanese words for water, "mizu" (水)/(ミズ), and fox, "kitsune" (狐)/(キツネ).
Similarly, it's Japanese name, Tamamitsune, is a portmanteau of the Japanese words for jewel, "tama" (玉)/(タマ); water, "mizu" (水)/(ミズ); and fox, "kitsune" (狐)/(キツネ).
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Soulseer Mizutsune
Main Article: Thunderbubble Mizutsune
|MHGen: Mizutsune Theme|
- Mizutsune is confirmed to be Ryozo Tsujimoto's favorite of the Elite Four
- The concept for Mizutsune's armor was a Fox Marriage (Japanese キツネの嫁入り). The male armor gives the appearance of a groom (Japanese 新郎) while the female armor gives the appearance of a bride (Japanese 新婦).
- Mizutsune's equipment design came from the kimono.
- When low on stamina, Mizutsune's yellow fins change to a blue color.
- When in Rage Mode, Mizutsune's fins turn red.
- While in Rage Mode, some of Mizutsune's bubbles stay on the ground. Its bubbles can also turn green or red, healing or granting an attack boost when they hit the hunter.
- Mizutsune's claws and back can be wounded, its head can be wounded twice and its tail can be wounded and severed.
- Mizutsune will eat fish from a fishing spot to recover Stamina.
- Mizutsune's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- In-game, the Mizutsune encountered are always male.
- Female Mizutsune have duller colors and smaller fins.
- If Mizutsune is staggered during certain attacks, such as the water beam and slide, it will fall over and drop a shiny.
Monster Hunter Generations
- Mizutsune is elligible for the Hyper State.
- Hyper Claw+ and Hyper Fluid can be obtained from Hyper Mizutsune missions.
- There is an Event Quest where players can fight a very small Mizutsune.