Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (called Monster Hunter 4G in Japan) is an improved version of Monster Hunter 4 and is the first fourth generation Monster Hunter game released outside of Japan. In Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, players will take on the role of a hunter that joins up with a traveling caravan to explore new lands and towns along the way. This grand adventure includes hundreds of quests to take on a variety of extraordinary creatures that yield valuable resources used for weapons and equipment. Launching on Nintendo 3DS, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate represents the biggest leap forward ever for the series with more new content and exciting features than ever before. Also, for the first time ever for the Monster Hunter series on a handheld system, players will be able to join up with friends over the internet via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, as well as the previously available local wireless option.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will take players to new heights, literally, with the introduction of more vertical and lateral movement than ever. An expanded repertoire of actions will create more dynamic hunting experiences with fluid climbing motions and the ability to jump attack from walls or ledges. In addition, players will be able to ride atop a monster for a limited time as they hang on and deliver attacks. With the addition of two new weapon classes, challenging new monsters and numerous locales, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will be the most robust hunting experience yet. It released in Japan on October 11, 2014 and is scheduled for International release on February 13, 2015.
Number of Monsters - Comparison with Previous Games
|February 13, 2015|
- A total of 98 Monsters are in the game; 23 Small monsters and 75 Large monsters.
- 85 returning monsters are in the game; 23 Small monsters and 62 Large Monsters.
- Returning 1st Generation monsters are Apceros, Aptonoth, Basarios, Cephadrome, Cephalos, Diablos, Black Diablos, Felyne, Gendrome, Genprey, Gravios, Black Gravios, Gypceros, Purple Gypceros, Iodrome, Ioprey, Kelbi, Khezu, Red Khezu, Fatalis, Crimson Fatalis, Kirin, Melynx, Monoblos, White Monoblos, Rathalos, Azure Rathalos, Silver Rathalos, Rathian, Pink Rathian, Gold Rathian, Velocidrome, Velociprey, Yian Garuga, Yian Kut-Ku, and Blue Yian Kut-Ku.
- Returning 2nd Generation monsters are Akantor, Chameleos, Conga, Congalala, Emerald Congalala, Daimyo Hermitaur, Plum Daimyo Hermitaur, Hermitaur, Kushala Daora, Rusted Kushala Daora, Popo, Rajang, Remobra, Teostra, Tigrex, Ukanlos, and White Fatalis.
- Returning 3rd Generation monsters are Altaroth, Bnahabra, Brachydios, Brute Tigrex, Delex, Deviljho, Savage Deviljho, Gargwa, Great Jaggi, Jaggi, Jaggia, Lagombi, Rhenoplos, Slagtoth, Zinogre, and Stygian Zinogre.
- Returning 4th Generation monsters are Ruby Basarios, Dalamadur, Dah'ren Mohran, Gore Magala, Kecha Wacha, Oroshi Kirin, Konchu, Najarala, Nerscylla, Seltas, Seltas Queen, Shagaru Magala, Tetsucabra, Molten Tigrex, Zamite, and Zamtrios.
- 10 new monsters are in the game; no Small monsters and 10 Large Monsters.
- The Carapaceon Monster Type, previously not present in Monster Hunter 3, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Monster Hunter 4, returns in this game.
|Title||Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Announcement message from Producer Ryozo Tsujimoto|
by Monster Hunter
|Title||Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - E3 2014 Trailer|
by Monster Hunter
|Title||Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate E3 Trailer PEGI|
by Official Capcom UK
|Title||Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 30-second spot|
by Monster Hunter
|Title||Nintendo 3DS - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate|
|Title||Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - Story Trailer|
by Monster Hunter
- The Dunes area has been revealed. Previously there was no Desert in Monster Hunter 4.
- The Dunes is G-rank only for Guild Quests and High-rank for Offline, and is unlocked via an Urgent Quest.
- Save data is transferable from Japanese Monster Hunter 4 into Monster Hunter 4 G, aka the Japanese version of this game only.
- Equipment and Download quests will transfer over, but some weapons may change or be adjusted.
- Palicoes can now reach level 30, and will have new skills and equipment.
- Unlike the 3DS version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will feature online multiplayer.
- As with every main Monster Hunter game, the Japanese version of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is on separate servers, rendering multiplayer mode between the two versions of the game impossible.
- Underwater combat does not be make a return in this game.
- If a hunter is hit with the upswing of a Hammer, Switch Axe or Great Sword, they can now combo that into their jumping attack.
- The Apex Status and Wystones make their debt in MH4U
- Apex Monsters are infected with the Frenzy, have tougher hides and are not affected by traps or weapon elements (e.g., blast, poison).
- Melee weapons and shots / arrows will only connect with the weakest parts of an Apex Monster's body, and bounce off anywhere else.
- Wystones are available at the Wyporium once they are unlocked by completing certain quests. There are four different types: Force, Brace, Drive and Elemental.
- Hunters apply the effects of wystones into their weapons by selecting them from their item pouch. Wystones can be used repeatedly, but will only remain active for a short period of time before entering a cooldown state.
- Drive Wystones allow weapons to pierce the tougher parts of an Apex Monster's hide. The skills Mind's Eye and Steady Hand will have no effect.
- Elemental Wystones remove an Apex monster's immunity to elemental and status damage.
- Force and Brace Wystones respectively increase a hunter's attack and defense against Frenzied and Apex monsters.