Monster Hunter Freedom is the first game in the Monster Hunter Portable/Freedom series for the PSP, content-wise, it is based on Monster Hunter G containing many of its features, but it is not a direct port of the game.
Many features from Monster Hunter G were retained, along with the introduction of new features.
- Yian Garuga is introduced to the franchise, a violent relative of Yian Kut-Ku, this monster is notorious for being repelled like Elder Dragons from later generations.
- White Velociprey are changed from being exclusive to late online quests and now appear in almost every rank among normal Velociprey.
- Monster Subspecies can be hunted in Village Quests, although players aren't informed if a quest targets a subspecies unless the description mentions the monster's color.
- Treasure Hunt quests, they are given by Treshi and can't be played solo.
- The first village farm is introduced, it lies west of Kokoto and requires players to supply their own tools like Pickaxes and Bugnets, the gathering nodes here work just like in quests, tools can break, you may find nothing and there's no item box, in addition, items won't be sent to the box if your pouch is full.
- Kokoto receives visual changes, its many bushes now have pink leaves, which can also be seen falling from above, while the tavern near the Chief has been turned into a gathering hall.
Capcom USA and Logitech Collaboration
Logitech is a Swiss-American manufacturer of computer peripherals and software. During the release of Monster Hunter Freedom in North America, Capcom USA and Logitech teamed up to do a limited time sweepstakes called the Monster Hunter Freedom Sweepstakes. The prizes for the winners were:
- The full Capcom PSP (PlayStation Portable) system library: Capcom Classics Collection Remixed, Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Mega Man Powered Up, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble and Monster Hunter Freedom.
- Logitech accessories for the PSP system: Logitech PlayGear Amp, PlayGear Street, PlayGear Mod, PlayGear Pocket, PlayGear Pocket Skin Kit, PlayGear Stealth, PlayGear Visor and PlayGear Share.
- $250 Gift Card towards a retailer of your choice: Electronics Boutique, GameStop, Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy
One could've check more details and to enter the sweepstakes at capcom.psp (archive).
Also part of the Monster Hunter Freedom collaboration, a Monster Hunter Freedom PlayGear Pocket skin was included with the North American copies of the game. The sweepstakes was being promoted on the back of the skin.
- Being the first game in the Portable/Freedom series, although heavily based on Monster Hunter G, it is not an exact replica.
- This game suffers from localization errors, while most of them are minor typos such as the misspelling of "Minagarde Night", some larger issues are present when playing the game in other languages, for example, the Spanish item list is displaced at one point, leading to many Azure Rathalos and Silver Rathalos materials having their names swapped.