|“||Terrible wyverns called "Kings of the Skies". Along with Rathians, they stake wide territories centered around their nests. Rathalos descend on invaders from the sky, attacking with poison claws and breath of fire.||„|
|- MHGU Description|
Rathalos are male Flying Wyverns introduced in Monster Hunter. Having appeared in every single Monster Hunter game in the series, including spin-offs, Rathalos are considered an icon of the Monster Hunter series.
Rathalos are large, bipedal wyverns with a spiny, armored hide covering their body. Their outer shell features much brighter and more vibrant colors than that of their female counterpart, the Rathian. It is primarily bright red, with black markings throughout. Like the Rathian, Rathalos possess a flame sac which is used to produce deadly flaming projectiles from the mouth. The talons upon their feet are highly poisonous and are known to inflict toxic mortal wounds on larger prey. In addition, their long, thick tail features a heavy spiked club at the end. Rathalos' wing membranes feature ornate patterns which are likely used to attract potential mates.
Rathalos are expert flyers, and as such are prone to hunting from the skies. By launching a surprise aerial attack, they can inflict poisonous wounds with their talons or burn prey with flaming projectiles. On the ground, Rathalos remain formidable opponents. Using their powerful legs, they can chase down prey from a distance or inflict blunt-force damage with their clubbed tail. At a close enough range, they are known to use their sharp teeth to bite at foes as well. Some Rathalos are capable of staying in the air and launching a "few" fireballs before landing back to the ground.
Rathalos are highly territorial monsters, and as such, are aggressive towards intruders. They will chase away or attempt to kill any monster which may pose a threat to their land. While hunting, Rathalos will stalk prey from the air before swooping in for the kill. Once they have successfully brought down their prey, they will carry it away to eat in private, safe from scavengers or other large monsters which might attempt to steal the kill.
Rathalos have been spotted in many kinds of environments, from the temperate Forest and Hills to the extreme heat of the Volcano. As a master of flight, they will travel far and wide, searching for prey from the skies. Rathalos is also the apex predator of the Ancient Forest alongside Nargacuga.
Click on Expand to see contents.
- Monster Hunter (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter G
- Monster Hunter Freedom
- Monster Hunter 2
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2
- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- Monster Hunter 3
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
- Monster Hunter 4
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Monster Hunter Generations
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
- Monster Hunter: World
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
- Monster Hunter Frontier
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 2.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 3.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 4.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 5.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 6.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 7.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 8.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 9.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.1
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.2
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.3
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.4
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G
- Monster Hunter Frontier G2
- Monster Hunter Frontier G3
- Monster Hunter Frontier G Genuine
- Monster Hunter Frontier G5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G6
- Monster Hunter Frontier G7
- Monster Hunter Frontier G8
- Monster Hunter Frontier G9
- Monster Hunter Frontier G10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z Zenith
- Monster Hunter i
- MH Diary: Poka Poka Felyne Village
- MH Diary: Mobile Felyne Village
- MH Diary: Poka Poka Felyne Village G
- Felyne Puzzle
- MH Diary: Poka Poka Felyne Village DX
- Monster Hunter: Phantom Island Voyage
- Monster Hunter Mobile Games
- Monster Hunter Dynamic Hunting
- Monster Hunter Massive Hunting
- Monster Hunter Online
- Monster Hunter Big Game Hunting Quest
- Monster Hunter Roar of Cards
- Monster Hunter Mezeporta Reclamation
- Monster Hunter Spirits
- Monster Hunter Explore
- Monster Hunter Stories
- Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
- Monstie Drop Monster Hunter Stories
- Monster Hunter Riders
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- Puzzle & Dragons
- Puzzle & Dragons X
- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
- Final Fantsy XIV
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Gyuakuten Othellonia
- Dragalia Lost
- Dragon Quest of the Stars
MHP3rd Element/Status Effectiveness
Information taken from mhp3rd.net
|Hitzone||Cut. D.||Imp. D.||Shot D.|
MH3 Damage Effectiveness
For the damage formula (how it's calculated), hitzone charts, Rathalos info and more click the following links: Monster Hunter 3 Damage Formula or Monster Hunter 3 Hitzone Charts. Images created by Inkoseh.
MHW Damage Effectiveness
|1st time||2nd time|
|Flash Bomb||✔||★★★||Only works if monster is facing the flash bomb when it goes off. Also works to free a pinned hunter.|
|Dung Bomb||✔||★★★||Used to get out of Pin Attack and will (sometimes) make him change area.|
|Meat||✔||★☆☆||Only works when the monster has not noticed the hunter.|
MH4U Breakable Parts
|Right Wing (x1)|
|Left Wing (x1)|
For carves and materials from other games, see Rathalos Carves
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
For more information, see Rathalos Equipment
For more images, see Rathalos Photo Gallery
- Rathalos is the flagship monster of the original Monster Hunter game, and is often considered by fans as the flagship monster of the entire series.
- So far, Rathalos have appeared in every single Monster Hunter game in the series, even including the spin-off MH Diary: Poka Poka Felyne Village.
- Rathalos have made crossover appearances as bosses in other video game titles such as Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Final Fantasy XIV, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate; and in a playable capacity in mobile titles TEPPEN, Dragalia Lost, and Puzzle & Dragons.
- According to one of the Uniqlo Monster Hunter 10th Anniversary T-Shirts, the size of the foot of a Rathalos is 221 centimeters. This may also apply to Azure Rathalos, as the shirt is focused on the main monsters of every generation.
- Rathalos may use his dive bomb attack as the very first attack during a hunt (though this happens quite rarely).
- Rathalos' roar requires Earplugs to block.
Monster Hunter 3
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- During Rathalos' dive bomb attack, he will now breathe fireballs during that attack, so the hunter can not stand still and heal or sharpen like in generations before.
- In G rank it can do Azure Rathalos' claw attacks.
Monster Hunter: World
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Frontier
|▷ Monsters appearing in Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (edit)|