The Gougarfs are large ape-like creatures with big bushy tails, and canine features. They are genetically dimorphic and can be found in one of two distinct forms, these forms are so different in fact that separate names were conceived to identify them.
Ray Gougarf is the blue-furred monster with a longer, wolf-like face, navy blue bodies and white stripes with a V-shaped fur tuft on its back.
Lolo Gougarf is the red-furred monster with a flatter, bulldog-like face, white bodies with grey stripes and a round fur tuft on its back.
Ray possesses the dominant gene, making it the more common of the two forms. Lolo possesses the recessive gene, which causes it to look different, behave much more aggressively and be a rarer sight.
These monsters are physically strong, capable of lifting and throwing objects their own body weight or more, usually eachother or large boulders. Like Rukodiora, this pair of monsters are capable of manipulating magnetism to ensnare or repel foes at will, this ability is much more effective when they are in relative proximity.
These monsters are most often seen alongside one another. The two of them are capable of attacking in unison to overwhelm prey and foes alike. Ray is known to be rather docile, avoiding conflict when possible. Lolo is the opposite, highly aggressive and willing to engage foes. Because of this, they will exhibit different behaviors in battle. If its Lolo partner is killed, Ray will flee the area and be unable to enter an enraged state. On the other hand, if Ray is killed, Lolo will become enraged permanently and will fight the attackers to the death.
- Lolo and Ray Gougarf are the third pair of monsters introduced in Frontier that stay with each other through a quest and can combine their attacks.
- The relationship of Lolo and Ray Gougarf isn't male and female like Rathalos/Rathian, but rather Lolo is a recessive gene variant that is much more aggressive than the standard Ray.
- Ray Gougarf's face, arms and tail can be broken.
- Ray Gougarf's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- When enraged, Ray Gougarf will roar releasing a small magnetic field that causes its hair stand up and blue static to surround its body.
- If Lolo Gougarf becomes enraged, so will Ray Gougarf.
- Lolo Gougarf will strike its fists on the ground several times to give Ray Gougarf a command before using a combined attack.
- If KO'ed while enraged, stars will remain around the individual's head for a short period after it recovers. In this state, it will attack its partner Gougarf.
- Lolo can snap Ray out of a KO by issuing a command.
- HC Ray Gougarf's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- If Lolo is trapped, Ray will quickly come to its partners aid by leaping on it, freeing Lolo from the trap, followed by a ground pound once it has landed.