The most notable feature of this species of Basarios is the assortment of pink crystals protruding from all over its back, suggesting a considerable variation in its diet compared to its rocky cousin. Its body is also heavily covered in moss, due to it living in a vegetation-rich environment.
Its shell is highly resistant to damage and is difficult to penetrate. It is capable of launching crystals from its back by shaking its body back and forth.
Like the common Basarios, this subspecies prefers to spend much of its time buried in the earth, camouflaged as a rock. It will attack if disturbed, but will not respond aggressively should it be approached by a hunter or another monster while in this state.
This subspecies is exclusively found in the Everwood, presumably because the pink crystals it feeds on cannot be found elsewhere.
Ruby Basarios's localized name derives from the color and hardness of the Ruby gemstone, which matches the color of the monster's gemstones and the added durability they boast.
MH4U Breakable Parts
- The red crystals that it scatters from its body can be mined for ores. However, the hunter must hurry to do so, as the crystals will break after a short while.
- Its back can be broken and mined for ores.
- Basarios's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- Its roar when becoming enraged only requires Earplugs.
- Its design appears to be based upon the Basarios X armor set from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which featured a very similar crystalline pink and grey coloration.
- During the localization process, potential name candidates for Ruby Basarios included Coral Basarios and Azalea Basarios.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- It drops crystals with some attacks, like the tail swing, the hip check or when it rolls.
- Once its back is broken, the next time a hunter rides on it, it will roll over and exposes its belly to the rider instead (and continue to do so, even after the belly has been broken).