Seltas is a large, mantis like insectoid with a brightly-colored, highly resistant exoskeleton, which is covered in spines and knobs. He has six legs, the foremost pair are armored and weaponized for combat, and a pair of collapsible wings. His head is hidden beneath a large, armored canopy that extends far beyond the rest of his upper body. He has a pair of compound eyes and powerful slicing mandibles. Seltas is the male counterpart to the Seltas Queen.
Seltas is capable of highly precise movement in air, thanks to his highly-developed wings. His forelimbs are designed for jabbing and slashing, and will also spear his prey with its armored canopy. His compound eyes provide him with an extremely wide field of vision.
It can shoot three green globs that cause the Defense down ailment.
Seltas is predatory in nature, both large and powerful enough to prey on both hunters and small monsters alike. He is known to attack from the skies and use his weaponized forelimbs to attack. In addition, he is commonly known to attach himself to his massive female partner and transport her with his powerful wings.
When he is forced to merge with Seltas Queen, he will struggle at first to escape. But when the merge has been completed, he will fight alongside Seltas Queen without question as if hypnotized. He won't even fight back when being eaten by his mate, indicating that Seltas Queen has full control of Seltas.
The name Seltas was chosen because it was short and easy to say. It is a partial romanization of the original Japanese name, Aruserutasu, which is a combination of the Hebrew word for iron and the scientific name for a species of scorpion.
Analysis and Guides
For details, see Seltas Guides.
|Seltas Analysis for Monster Hunter 4|
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
|Brighter Red means more damage, while Darker Red means lesser damage.|
Credits for the Images used above goes to kei_9 (ケイ) of Pixiv
|Raw Hitzone Damage Data|
|Hitzone||Cutting Damage||Impact Damage||Shot Damage|
|Element Hitzone Damage Data|
|This Monster is weakest to:|| Thunder on Belly|
Fire on Belly
|Status Effects Data|
|Item Effectiveness Data|
MH4 Breakable Parts
|MH4: Seltas, Great Jaggi, Velocidrome, Gendrome, Iodrome, Lagombi Battle Music|
- Seltas is strong enough to lift his partner for short periods, despite the clear size difference.
- When merged together, Seltas's mucous globs will cause fatigue instead of lowering defense.
- Much like Diablos or Monoblos, if Seltas charges into a wall he will get stuck in, leaving himself open for attacks for a few seconds, however this will not work if Seltas' horn is broken.
- When knocked on the ground, Seltas will stay completely still for some time leaving the hunter some time to attack.
- After being knocked on the ground, Seltas will be unable to fly for a little while.
- Like Qurupeco, Seltas can shoot three mucous globs that cause the Defense Down ailment.
- Seltas' horn can be broken.
- Unlike most monsters, Seltas will sleep on a wall making it impossible to sleep bomb him.
- When woken up, Seltas will fall down from the wall, giving hunters some time to attack him.
- When weak, Seltas will limp on the ground instead of flying.
- When low on stamina, Seltas' abdomen (the part that shoots mucous globs.) will shrink.
- It will also be unable to fly and shoot mucous globs unless it recovers by eating or by pinning the hunter down, or overcoming fatigue after some time.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Excluding Great Jaggi, who is fought in an optional quest, Seltas is the first large monster fought in the game.
- When near death, he will sleep in either Area 7 of the Ancestral Steppe, Area 3 of the Primal Forest or Area 7 of the Sunken Hollow.
- When fatigued, Seltas will eat from a Kelbi carcass in Area 8 of the Ruins Field in order to regain stamina.
- Seltas gains a pin attack in High Rank.
- It can be infected by the Frenzy Virus.
- When Frenzied, Seltas can charge three times in a row. In addition, the mucous globs it shoots no longer cause Defense Down or Fatigue, inflicting only Frenzy instead.
- If encountered in a quest with Seltas Queen and the Frenzy Virus, Seltas will be frenzied at the start of the quest.
- During the localization process, potential name candidates for Seltas included Scarath and Scorius.
- In G-Rank, Seltas will extend his claws in most of his claw-based attacks, increasing the range of them. Unlike in lower ranks, Seltas doesn't need to be merged with a Seltas Queen in order to do this.
Monster Hunter Generations
- Seltas now uses the standard area battle theme.