Hello, and welcome to Monster Appreciation Week!
This week we look at the Crushing Wyvern, Brachydios!
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Equipment
Interesting Facts About Brachydios
Order: Saurischia - Suborder: Theropoda - Superfamily: Forefoot Fist Wyvern - Family: Brachy
- Brachydios is an unusual Brute Wyvern that was discovered in the volcanic parts of the Old World.
- Despite primarily living within volcanic environments, Brachydios has also been seen living in other locales like forests and freezing tundras. More recently, Brachydios has been reported at the New World.
- Like most other Brute Wyverns, Brachydios is carnivorous and feeds on weaker species like Rhenoplos. Brachydios mainly moves from place to place in search of prey, and, much like Tigrex, it'll sometimes wander into the territory of another large predator while on the hunt.
- While most Brute Wyverns have tiny arms that can barely be used, Brachydios has massive ones that it attacks with. Unlike other wyverns, Brachydios's forelegs went through a bizarre evolution that allows the monster to punch prey and enemies alike. It has enough muscle to overpower lesser species with its raw strength alone.
- Remnants of its claws can be seen been on its pounders.
- Covering Brachydios's entire body is a slime mold. Most of it is inactive and can't be seen by the naked eye, but the slime mold on its forelegs and horn is active from a special component found in its saliva. This slime mold isn't dangerous while on Brachydios's body, however, it becomes a hazard once it leaves its owner. Once the slime mold is off Brachydios, it'll slowly turn from green to yellow to red before exploding. This explosion will not only destroy surrounding rocks but can kill weaker creatures instantly if they aren't careful, including hunters. When enraged, the component found in its saliva will spread to some other parts of its body, causing parts of Brachydios to turn yellow. While enraged, the Brachydios can instantly cause explosions with its slime mold by simply pounding its forelegs onto the ground and sticking its horn into the ground.
- The slime mold on each Brachydios is different from the other.
- It's known to leave patches of this slime mold scattered around its territory.
- Its title, Crushing Wyvern, comes from the exploding slime mold being strong enough to obliterate rocks and other objects with ease.
- Each time the slime mold explodes, it spreads spores that'll attach to Brachydios's body.
- Although young Brachydios live within the same territory as their parents, they don't ever interact with each other. While young, Brachydios will gather slime mold that is left behind by their parents so they can gain their own, but they have to watch out for the explosions. Since their hide is underdeveloped, the slime mold's explosion can seriously injure or even kill them. The slime mold's explosions will also cause their hide to melt and mix with volcanic ore attached to their body, creating the obsidian shell that Brachydios are known for.
- The bone marrow of a Brachydios is sticky.
- Its shell may contain weird bacteria so be careful!
- The tail of some stronger individuals is capable of smashing boulders to dust.
If you missed last week's Monster Appreciation Week, Glavenus, you all are still more then welcome to comment on it!