Hello, and welcome to the last Monster Appreciation Week for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne!
This week we look at the Black Dragon, Fatalis!
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Equipment
Interesting Facts About Fatalis
Order: Elder Dragon - Suborder: Origin Dragon - Family: Fatalis
- The word Fatalis was never meant as a moniker for an actual beast, but rather one meant to describe an existence of some kind. Over time, however, that word became the name of that elder dragon.
- Rather than facing off against a monster, it could be said that hunters are challenging history itself. Fatalis's name also means War of Fate (Japanese 運命の戦争).
- In the past, Schrade Kingdom was once united as a single entity but that ended up changing during one fateful night. About a thousand years ago, some kind of destructive event occurred in Castle Schrade, and that place and all of its inhabitants were wiped out overnight. It's unclear what exactly happened in Castle Schrade that night, but now Eastern Schrade and Western Schrade act independently from one another, and both refuse to try to reclaim the now-forgotten castle. Rumor has it that Schrade Kingdom was at war with Fatalis, and said elder dragon is what claimed Castle Schrade. Many legends about this Black Dragon began to appear after this incident, all of them varying from place to place. Travelers that have wandered close to Castle Schrade have reported seeing a dragon-like figure in the ruins of that castle and run in the other direction once they see it.
- To this day, it's still unknown what exactly happened in Castle Schrade, but the only ones that might know what really happened are the Wyverians that live within the Schrade Region like the Kokoto Chief. Since Wyverians live for so long, they might've been around long enough to know about that incident in detail and could fill in some holes about the story regarding Schrade Kingdom and the Black Dragon known as Fatalis.
- There is also an eerie individual known as the "Scarlet Mystery Man". This man is known to wear a red robe or cloak, and he "seemingly" knows something about Schrade Kingdom and many other things regarding the powerful Forbbiden Monsters (Black Dragons).
- A fairy tale that is known as The Legend of the Black Dragon. It's unclear when exactly this fairy tale first appeared, but it seems a poet clad in red wrote this tale around the same time the former king of Schrade Kingdom died from betrayal.
- According to several passages from one ancient article, various phenomena occurred in several parts of the world a few months before Castle Schrade was taken by Fatalis. Earthquakes, forest fires that produce enough smoke to block out the sun, monsters and endemic life disappearing, and even elder dragons becoming more scarce. At the center of all this chaos was Fatalis. Many years later, these same disasters occur once again, and the Hunter's Guild, as well as other organizations such as the Research Commission, team up to hunt down and slay Fatalis to prevent it from further disturbing the fragile ecosystem.
- Fatalis's very presence is known to scare off all sorts of creatures, including other elder dragons. When Fatalis is near, Lao-Shan Lung is known to flee in the other direction to avoid coming in contact with the Black Dragon.
- Fatalis is most well-known for its fire-breathing abilities. This elder dragon has an abnormally high body temperature and can easily burn all things to ash with its powerful flames.
- Rumor has it that Fatalis could scorch the whole world with its flames in a few days.
- Like other elder dragons, its horns control its immense power. Its strength and control over fire will weaken greatly if its horns are broken.
- Fatalis will often rest on armor scattered around its roost. The armor will melt onto its skin due to its abnormally high body temperature, covering its body and hardening its shell.
- Fatalis also reportedly brings its victims back to its lair before melting them to its own scales. It was even seen pinning down hunters and attaching them to its skin as it fought off its assailants.
- Many hunters have gone looking for that Fatalis, but seemingly none of them have ever returned... For those hunters that are trying to reach new heights of power and trying to prove that they are true monster hunters, Fatalis is considered as A Hunter's Ultimate Goal (Japanese ハンター人生の究極の目標). If Fatalis is indeed real and they're able to slay it, they'll go down in history as legends.
If you missed last week's Discussion of the Week, Turf Wars, you all are still more then welcome to comment on it!