Hello, and welcome to Monster Appreciation Week!
This week we look at the Black Wolf Bird, Yian Garuga!
Alongside Yian Garuga, we look at its Tempered Variant, Scarred Yian Garuga!
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Equipment
Interesting Facts About Yian Garuga
Order: Saurischia - Suborder: Bird Feet - Infraorder: Bird Wyvern - Superfamily: Eared Bird Wyvern - Family: Garuga
- Yian Garuga is a close relative of Yian Kut-Ku that was first reported near Kokoto Village, where a few novice hunters were ambushed by one while on their first Yian Kut-Ku hunt, and, sometime later, Yian Garuga have been seen throughout the Old World. Later, the commission discovered Yian Garuga in the New World.
- A Yian Garuga has no fixed territory and moves from place to place in search of new battles. Yian Garuga are war-like monsters, so they enjoy fighting other species of monsters constantly. Even if their injuries haven't healed from a previous fight, Yian Garuga will attack whatever they encounter without a second thought. No matter how strong an opponent is, even if they're stronger than the Yian Garuga, these bird wyverns aren't scared to challenge whatever monster they may encounter.
- Most Yian Garuga encountered by hunters have countless scars from previous battles on their bodies. It's rare to see a Yian Garuga without any kind of injuries on their body. The ones without scars are thought to be young Yian Garuga that haven't experienced a serious fight yet.
- A researcher witnessed several Yian Kut-Ku fighting each other over territory before a Yian Garuga suddenly stepped into the turf war and killed all the Yian Kut-Ku.
- A few hunters have died at the hands of Yian Garuga.
- In the New World, a Yian Garuga was reported driving off a Deviljho.
- Yian Garuga has a dark purple shell that repels the attacks of most threats, including hunters.
- Like Yian Kut-Ku, Yian Garuga has large sonar-like ears that enhance its hearing, and are used for intimidating other monsters. While Yian Kut-Ku can easily be stunned roars and sonic bombs, Yian Garuga isn't bothered by them at all since its will to fight is so strong.
- While Yian Kut-Ku breathes a flammable liquid from its mouth, Yian Garuga is capable of breathing powerful fireballs from its mouth with the help of its fire sac.
- Yian Garuga's three-pronged tail contains a deadly poison that can kill its target in seconds.
- Yian Garuga's beak is sharp, primarily used for stabbing its enemies and prey.
- Yian Garuga's legs are unusually strong and the sharp talons on its feet can easily rip through Pitfall Traps, especially when the monster is enraged.
- Yian Garuga are predators that are known to primarily feed on insects, much like Yian Kut-Ku. Yian Garuga has also been seen eating fish and weaker creatures.
- In the New World, Yian Garuga have been seen digging up grubs and eating corpses left behind by other monsters.
- There is an old saying about Yian Kut-Ku and Yian Garuga: "Where there are Yian Kut-Ku, Yian Garuga aren't too far behind." In many ways, despite being stronger, Yian Garuga depends on Yian Kut-Ku for survival.
- Yian Garuga can be found in just about all areas that Yian Kut-Ku are native to.
- Although Yian Garuga have good hearing to find prey, Yian Kut-Ku are better at finding and digging up insects. Often when a Yian Kut-Ku digs up food, a Yian Garuga will scare it off before stealing the Yian Kut-Ku's hard-earned meal. Yian Garuga will follow Yian Kut-Ku to find a suitable food source.
- Yian Garuga are terrible parents, so female Yian Garuga will sneak into a Yian Kut-Ku's nest and lay their eggs into said nest, leaving their young in the care of the oblivious Yian Kut-Ku.
- Interestingly, no Yian Kut-Ku have been found in the New World so far.
If you missed last week's Monster Appreciation Week, Zinogre, you all are still more then welcome to comment on it!