A variant (Japanese: 特殊個体) is a rare individual or anomalous group of a given species of monster. They are often almost identical to a common individual but possess one or more certain unique traits that set them apart. Variants are more powerful than a normal member of their species and are more in tune with their inherent abilities.
- 1 List of Variants by Game
- 2 Comparisons
List of Variants by Game
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
Monster Hunter Frontier
Monster Hunter Online
- Ghost Caeserber
- Crystal Basarios
- Swordmaster Shogun Ceanataur
- One-Eared Yian Garuga
- Shattered Monoblos
- Conflagration Rathian
- Elemental Merphistophelin
|Gore Magala||Chaotic Gore Magala|
|Hypnocatrice||Breeding Season Hypnocatrice|
|Scarred Yian Garuga|
|Yian Garuga||One-Eared Yian Garuga|
|Shogun Ceanataur||Swordmaster Shogun Ceanataur|
|Kushala Daora||Rusted Kushala Daora|
|Vaal Hazak||Blackveil Vaal Hazak|
- Explanation to how each variant comes to be:
- Savage Deviljho is a Deviljho that has lived a very long time and has cannibalized other Deviljho.
- The Raging Brachydios is a Brachydios who's explosive slime mold has covered it's entire body and will spontaneously combust on contact.
- Furious Rajang is a rare special Rajang individual that is constantly enraged for unknown reasons. Its theorized by the Guild that the Furious Rajang's power is unstable due to the loss of its tail and that its power potentially comes from its heart along with its nerves.
- Chaotic Gore Magala is a Gore Magala which has failed to molt properly into a Shagaru Magala.
- Rusted Kushala Daora is a Kushala Daora which has not shed its skin recently.
- Scarred Yian Garugas and One-Eared Yian Garuga are both Variants of Yian Garuga who have survived many grueling battles. In Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, Scarred Yian Garuga only appears as a Tempered Monster.
- Since Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, Scarred Yian Garuga has been officially considered a different entity from regular Yian Garuga, retroactively making its first debute in the first generation.
- Variants gained a more important role in the fifth generation. In Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, four new and one returning variants were introduced at launch (by far the largest debut in a mainline game), becoming a sizable part of the endgame and getting their dedicated entry in the Hunter's Note. Two achievements in the game were also related to Variants (Hunt your first Variant, Hunt 30 Variants). An additional fifth new variant, Frostfang Barioth, as well as two returning variants, Raging Brachydios and Furious Rajang, were added as free content in the 4th Title Update and the 3rd Title Update respectively.
- One-Horned Diablos (Japanese ディアソルテ/マ王ディア), which appeared in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, is not a Variant.
- The G-rank version of Crimson Fatalis which appeared in MH4U in the quest "Advanced: A Final Battle Cry", is not an official Variant.