|“||An elder dragon said to freeze all in its path. According to legend, it can control the cold, and use its freezing breath to conjure massive spires of ice out of nowhere.||„|
|- MHWI Description|
Velkhana is a traditional dragon with the slim, upright body structure of Elder Dragons like Kushala Daora. Its scales and shell are a unique crystalline blue. Its head has a tiara-like crown of small horns. It summons ice to cover its wings, limbs, and tail. Its thin, lance-like tail is highly flexible and can jab at enemies.
Behavior and Abilities
Velkhana freely controls ice and cold wind, and can cover wide areas in ice in an instant. It breathes beams of supercooled fluid that can instantly freeze monsters. When covered in its ice armor, ice crystals form nearby, and when struck by Velkhana's ice breath they form large spires that soon explode. Small ice platforms sometimes form, which can be jumped off of. Occasionally, spikes of ice rain from clouds close to the ground when it is enraged.
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Introduced)
MHWI Damage Effectiveness
|11||4340z||Very rare Velkhana material. Mostly obtained by carving. Broadly used for many purposes.|
|11||6640z||Very rare Velkhana material. Mostly obtained as a reward. Solid, used to craft gear.|
|11||8940z||Very rare Velkhana material. Obtained by breaking its wings. Supple, used to craft gear.|
|11||9640z||Very rare Velkhana material. Obtained by breaking its head. Stout, used in many weapons.|
|11||9220z||Very rare Velkhana material. Obtained by carving its severed tail. Stiff, used to craft gear.|
|11||9080z||Very rare Velkhana material. Obtained by collecting rare drops. Sharp, used in many weapons.|
|12||21000z||Very rare Velkhana material. Used to craft weapons powerful enough to take over the world.|
|Guiding Lands Only|
|11||4000z||Very rare Velkhana material. The Guiding Lands' energy fortifies the monsters living there.|
|11||6000z||Very rare Tempered Velkhana material. A product of the brutal power struggle in the Guiding Lands.|
For more information, see Velkhana Equipment
- Velkhana's head and wings can be broken and its tail can be severed.
- The tail will stick in the ground when severed, like Glavenus.
- When performing tail attacks after the sever, it will "regrow" its tail out of ice just like its ice armor.
- Velkhana's combat revolves around it advancing its "Ice Armor" mode and ultimately executing a powerful attack which involves many of its Ice-based attack simultaneously happening, reverting to a normal state shortly afterwards.
- The Ice Armor mode has 2 stages, the first in which Velkhana encases itself in the armor, and a second stage in which the lighting of the area it is in turns an icy blue. In both stages, Velkhana's attack power and speed are improved accordingly and its moveset is either changed or improved.
- Hunters can cancel this mode prematurely by breaking 2 or 3 of Velkhana’s armor components, which are separated on four body parts: head , body, legs, and wings.
- Velkhana does not regrow lost armor by advancing to the second stage of its mode.
- When near death, Velkhana will go straight into the second stage and can execute its ultimate move without reverting back to a normal state.
- During the Velkhana investigation phase of the Iceborne storyline (at the M3 quest level), Velkhana can be found in any zone except the Hoarfrost Reach during expeditions and may invade during quests. When Velkhana invades during a quest, two monsters will suddenly leave simultaneously. Velkhana will fight for a short while after noticing the hunter, then leave. By slamming Velkhana into a wall, hunters can get Crystal Shards from it; however, it is not possible to obtain any other Velkhana materials during this stage of the expansion.
- After slaying Velkhana, you learn that its crystal scales are made out of rapidly cooled magma. This means that Velkhana was indeed molting in the Elder's Recess.
- Velkhana is initially referred to as the "Old Everwyrm" by characters in the game, believing it to be the dragon mentioned by that name in ancient texts; however, it is revealed that the Old Everwyrm is not Velkhana, but Shara Ishvalda.
- Velkhana's theme is a medley rendition of "Trepak" by Pyotr Iliych Tchaikovsky and "William Tell Overture" by Gioachino Rossini.
|▷ Monsters appearing in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (edit)|
|Herbivore||Anteka Apceros Aptonoth Gastodon Kelbi Kestodon Mosswine Popo|
|Lynian||Boaboa Felyne Gajalaka Grimalkyne|
|Fanged Beast||Rajang Furious Rajang|
|Bird Wyvern||Kulu-Ya-Ku Pukei-Pukei Coral Pukei-Pukei Tzitzi-Ya-Ku Yian Garuga Scarred Yian Garuga|
|Brute Wyvern||Anjanath Fulgur Anjanath Banbaro Barroth Brachydios Raging Brachydios Deviljho Savage Deviljho Glavenus Acidic Glavenus Radobaan Uragaan|
|Fanged Wyvern|| Girros Jagras Shamos Wulg|
Dodogama Great Girros Great Jagras Odogaron Ebony Odogaron Tobi-Kadachi Viper Tobi-Kadachi Zinogre Stygian Zinogre
|Piscine Wyvern||Beotodus Jyuratodus Lavasioth|
|Wingdrake||Barnos Cortos Mernos Noios Raphinos|
|Flying Wyvern||Barioth Frostfang Barioth Bazelgeuse Seething Bazelgeuse Diablos Black Diablos Legiana Shrieking Legiana Nargacuga Paolumu Nightshade Paolumu Rathalos Azure Rathalos Silver Rathalos Rathian Pink Rathian Gold Rathian Tigrex Brute Tigrex|
|Elder Dragon||Alatreon Behemoth Fatalis Kirin Kulve Taroth Kushala Daora Lunastra Namielle Nergigante Ruiner Nergigante Safi'jiiva Shara Ishvalda Teostra Vaal Hazak Blackveil Vaal Hazak Velkhana Xeno'jiiva Zorah Magdaros|
|Relict||Leshen Ancient Leshen|