Velkhana is a traditional dragon with the slim, upright body structure of Elder Dragons like Kushala Daora. Its scales and shell are a unique crystalline blue. Its head has a tiara-like crown of small horns. It summons ice to cover its wings, limbs, and tail. Its thin, lance-like tail is highly flexible and can jab at enemies.
Behavior and Abilities
Velkhana freely controls ice and cold wind, and can cover wide areas in ice in an instant. It breathes beams of supercooled fluid that can instantly freeze monsters. When covered in its ice armor, ice crystals form nearby, and when struck by Velkhana's ice breath they form large spires that soon explode. Small ice platforms sometimes form, which can be jumped off of. Occasionally, spikes of ice rain from clouds close to the ground when it is enraged.
- For more information, see Velkhana Equipment
- Velkhana's head and wings can be broken and its tail can be severed.
- The tail will stick in the ground when severed, like Glavenus.
- When performing tail attacks after the sever, it will "regrow" its tail out of ice just like its ice armor.
- During the Velkhana investigation phase of the Iceborne storyline (at the M3 quest level), Velkhana can be found in any zone except the Hoarfrost Reach during expeditions and may invade during quests. When Velkhana invades during a quest, two monsters will suddenly leave simultaneously. Velkhana will fight for a short while after noticing the hunter, then leave. By slamming Velkhana into a wall, hunters can get Crystal Shards from it; however, it is not possible to obtain any other Velkhana materials during this stage of the expansion.
- After slaying Velkhana, you learn that its crystal scales are made out of rapidly cooled magma. This means that Velkhana was indeed molting in the Elder's Recess.