Yian Garuga has a striking purple coloration, large defensive spikes and an extremely tough shell. Its beak is sharp and jagged, and it possesses a silver mane around the edge of its face.
Yian Garuga possesses a poisonous tail club and can produce ear-splitting roars to stop foes in their tracks. It is quite crafty and will avoid pitfall traps. In addition, it is unaffected by sonic bombs.
Highly aggressive for a Bird Wyvern, Yian Garuga is known to behave similar to a Rathian, as well as sharing a very similar set of attacks.
Click on Expand to see contents.
- Monster Hunter Freedom / Monster Hunter Portable (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter 2
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2
- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- Monster Hunter 4
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Monster Hunter Generations
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Monster Hunter Frontier (Introduced)
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 2.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 3.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 4.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 5.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 6.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 7.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 8.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 9.0
- Monster Hunter Frontier Season 10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.1
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.2
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.3
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.4
- Monster Hunter Frontier Forward.5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G
- Monster Hunter Frontier G2
- Monster Hunter Frontier G3
- Monster Hunter Frontier G Genuine
- Monster Hunter Frontier G5
- Monster Hunter Frontier G6
- Monster Hunter Frontier G7
- Monster Hunter Frontier G8
- Monster Hunter Frontier G9
- Monster Hunter Frontier G10
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z
- Monster Hunter Frontier Z Zenith
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Deadeye Yian Garuga
Main Article: Deadeye Yian Garuga
Hardcore (HC) Yian Garuga
HC Yian Garuga has a poison stained beak, more spikes on its tail and new attacks including: releasing a mist of poison during a tail flip; screaming extremely loud while charging at a target; screaming while jumping into the air and spitting 3 fire balls directly below.
One-Eared Yian Garuga
Main Article: One-Eared Yian Garuga
Analysis and Guides
For details on older games this monster has appeared in, see Yian Garuga Guides.
|Yian Garuga Analysis for Monster Hunter 4|
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
(Click Image to Zoom)
|Brighter Red means more damage, while Darker Red means lesser damage.|
|Raw Hitzone Damage Data|
|Hitzone||Cutting Damage||Impact Damage||Shot Damage|
|Element Hitzone Damage Data|
|This Monster is weakest to:|| Water on Back:|
|Status Effects Data|
|Item Effectiveness Data|
Analysis Data Source/s:
|MHF: Yian Garuga Music Theme|
MH4U Breakable Parts
|Left Wing (x1)|
|Right Wing (x1)|
- It is possible to dodge the Garuga's short screams. If timed perfectly with its roar players can simply avoid it by rolling or by diving without the use of Earplugs.
- To unlock Yian Garuga, players need to have killed/captured at least 10 Yian Kut Ku.
- Yian Garuga is sly and will avoid Pitfall Traps, except when not enraged or limping.
- To make Yian Garuga drop an item, simply get it onto a Pitfall Trap.
- Unlike Yian Kut-Ku, Garuga comes with many "breakables". The tail, for instance, can be severed. The beak, back-spines, both wing claws, and the "mane" can also be broken.
- Yian Garuga's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- Yian Garuga's name may come from "Garou", the French word for wolf. This is in line with its sly, predatory behavior and lupine features.
- It may also be derived from "Garuda", a legendary bird in Hindu and Buddhist mythology.
- Throughout the series history, the default appearance of a Yian Garuga would vary. In Monster Hunter Freedom, and Monster Hunter 4 (Ultimate) Yian Garugas will always start a quest with a scarred eye and damaged ear. In Monster Hunter Generations (Ultimate) and Monster Hunter Online, Yian Garugas will always start a quest with unharmed faces. Throughout the second generation and Frontier, Yian Garugas could either start with unharmed or scarred faces.
- Monster Hunter Generations and Monster Hunter Online introduced the Deviant Deadeye Yian Garuga and the Variant One-Eared Yian Garuga respectively: scarred Garugas who featured their own armor set and weapons.
- With Variants being given their own Hunters Notes separate from their base species in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, Yian Garuga individuals with damaged faces have been officially recognized as a Variant named Scarred Yian Garuga. Unlike the unspecified scarred Garuga variants that have appeared in previous games, Iceborne's Scarred Yian Garuga features new attacks and patterns not utilized by their standard versions. However, unlike Deadeye Yian Garuga and One-Eared Yian Garuga, Iceborne's Scarred Yian Garuga does not feature its own armor set.
- After completing certain 3-Star Village Quests, the player will be given a Special Quest (with a Quest Level of 6 Stars), in which they are given 20 minutes to "Damage and Repel the Yian Garuga as Best You Can". The damage the Yian Garuga has sustained will be carried over to the subsequent encounter, even if the quest is failed.
- In 1st generation games that include Yian Garuga, it would be fought in the daytime even though it is a nocturnal predator; the 1st generation did not have night-time quests.
- To perform the Yian Garuga Glitch, get a single Spiderweb then accept the "Revenge of the Yian Garuga" quest. Once the quest begins go to the veggie elder and trade the spiderweb for a special mushroom. (Players can also just gather a Special Mushroom from the spot near the Elder if they do not have a Spiderweb). Now just wait until the time runs out and the game will think the quest has been completed successfully. The next time a player fights Yian Garuga, his health will already be substantially low, making it an easy win. (Note: This glitch has been tested on the american version of Monster Hunter Freedom and it DOES NOT work on the european release)
- In some quest, the Yian Garuga starts with two ears; in others, it starts with only one. In the Felyne Elder quest "Elegy for a Lone Wolf" the Garuga starts with one ear and a cracked beak.
- Similar to Yian Kut-Ku, the Yian Garuga now has 4 toes.
- Its back can be broken.
- When low on stamina it will fail to shoot fireballs and will get its beak stuck in the ground when doing its peck attack.
- Its tail spin will also fail to poison the hunter when low on stamina.
- It will either sleep or eat Konchu to regain stamina.
- In its intro video it is seen chasing after a Yian Kut-Ku.
- It gains new attacks, such as quick beak slams and an attack where it screams, then flies at the player and does a quick backflip.
- In G-Rank, after a backflip, it can fly at the player and do a second backflip.
- Yian Garuga always starts with one ear, unlike past games, where it can start with two ears.
- It can be infected by the Frenzy Virus.
- Yian Garuga has both ears again.
- Yian Garuga can be a pet.
- HC Yian Garuga's roar requires Super HG Earplugs to block.
- This monster is unlocked at Level 50.
- Yian Garuga's wings and ears can be wounded, and its tail can be severed.